30 March 2010

You're Probably Thinking..."A Vacation From What?"


I am officially on vacation. If you know me, if you have been to my house in the last three months, you will know, you will ask yourself, "what could he be taking a vacation from?" I don't work, I practically don't feed myself (not true), I don't do my own laundry, or housework, or dishes (almost not true). But my friend Ralph lives outside of Washington, D.C., one of my favorite places, and an opportuinity to road trip presented itself. Anyone who reads my blog knows that I am a history nut and, for people similarly afflicted, D.C. is like a big playground, a history geek's Graceland.

I would like to go to the Library of Congress sometime this week. Maybe I can dig into my family history while I'm here. I would also like to go back to the National Archives and get myself a t-shirt with both Elvis and Nixon (they're shaking hands!) on it. Of course I want to sit on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial for awhile and look out at the reflecting pool on the National Mall. I might do that Friday. Also, the cherry blossoms are out here.

When I was a kid my family drove to Florida a few times and we stopped in D.C. The cherry blossoms were out and, of course, it was a good memory. So I'm excited for that too. I think I am going to try to talk my friend Ralph into driving to Monticello, Thomas Jefferson's house. We'll see. The rest of the time I am going to sit on the patio and enjoy the sun. Pretty much what I do at home when it's warm enough. Pics will be forthcoming.

30 March 2010 11:51pm
Tomorrow is gonna be 70 here in DC tomorrow.

31 March 2010 10:58am
Well my first day in the D.C. area was a lot like a typical day at home except I drank more and earlier. I have the patio door open at my friends condo to let the sunshine in and later we're going to a seafood buffet!

Right now I'm watching The Breakfast Club, the classic Judd Nelson/turkey pot pie monologue. The author of my favorite site on the internet, POP CANDY at USAToday, is going to call five of her 15,000 Twitter followers this week. I submitted my name and phone number and I am keeping two of my fingers crossed that she chooses me. She is from D.C. I think she would appreciate that I'm watching an 80's classic before noon on a weekday.

1 April 2010
I must be in the middle of an 80's movie marathon on tv because this morning One Crazy Summer, with John Cusack, was on. Strangely enough, it was not nearly as bad as I remember it being.

No comments:

Post a Comment